Linux Team Lead
Chicago, IL | Direct Hire
Title: Linux Team Lead
Location: Chicago, IL 60605
The Linux Team Lead/Senior Engineer will be responsible for managing and providing operational production support, day-to-day administration and maintenance, and long-term planning and solutions engineering. The individual will work closely with other Infrastructure teams, Development, Trading Systems Managers and Applications Support personnel in a fast-paced team-oriented environment, to provide non-stop, high-performance, high-availability and low latency trading systems to the CTC trading and business community. The ideal candidate has financial services or trading firm environment experience. This position is located in our Chicago HQ office but will also be responsible for systems in our New York and European (London, Frankfurt) data centers.
- Day-day supervision of the team members.
- Prioritizing and allocating workload with the team members.
- Acts as first point of escalation for team member issues both within the team as well as with other teams.
- Leads yearly budget development efforts on behalf of team.
- Actively participates in ongoing budget management.
- Legal Subject Matter Expert (SME) for contracts that their team is primary driver.
- 5+ years Linux Server administration experience.
- Previous Team Leadership required.
- Red Hat RHCE/RHCA Certification is preferred but not required.
- Red Hat Satellite experience a plus.
- Ansible experience a plus.
- Experience with financial industry applications and environments preferred.
- Strong process oriented experience and demonstrated leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Desired:
- BS or BA degree in computer science or related field preferred.
- System performance analysis, tuning, and troubleshooting experience including network, system, and hardware optimization for low latency.
- Strong understanding of Linux kernel tuning and operating system semantics. Real-time kernel experience a plus.
- High Availability, clustering, failover, and load balancing experience.
- Virtualization experience including VMware vSphere or ESX server and/or SAN experience a plus.
- Strong scripting abilities using Perl, Python, and/or bash/ksh.
- Knowledge of LVM, ext3, filesystem tuning, OpenSSH, LDAP, Kerberos, and related services.
- Ability to work well with customers in a cross-team environment.
- Ability and willingness to mentor within one’ s own team as well as other teams.
- Self-motivated with the ability to follow directions, complete time-sensitive tasks, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, high-stress environment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills, able to document processes and procedures, able to understand problems, frame them for other team members, and drive to solutions as a group.
- Strong judgment skills in balancing ideal solutions with pragmatic ones.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build trust and influence inside the team, and with external stakeholders.
- Works well under pressure. Stays calm and professional even when faced with challenging people or circumstance.
- Experience working with developers and trading systems operations to troubleshoot application performance issues.
- Experience developing test programs, project plans and roadmaps, and driving them to conclusion.