Senior Site Performance Engineer - Consumer Web
San Francisco, CA | Direct Hire
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: San Francisco
As a Site Performance Engineer you will work on large-scale system design and troubleshooting and be fluent in systems programming and building automated tools. You will have a desire to tackle the complex problems of scale which are unique to us. Familiarity with running production environments at scale is crucial in this job along with an in-depth understanding of Unix (and some Windows) systems internals and networking.
You will dive deep into big, hairy operational issues from the programming, operations and process perspectives - working with many other teams to identify solutions to issues. You will work hard to ensure that systemic issues in sites and services are identified and fixed and will ensure that the reliability and performance of the entire site measurably improves over time.
- Design, write and deliver software to evaluate and improve the availability, scalability, performance, latency and efficiency of sites and services.
- Solve problems relating to mission critical sites and services and build automation tools to prevent problem recurrence; with the goal of automating response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Influence and create new designs, architectures, standards and methods for large-scale distributed systems.
- Engage in system capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Conduct periodic on call duties using a follow-the-sun model.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3+ years of Strong Experience in one or more high-level language such as Java, C#, Python or Ruby
- Strong knowledge of networking protocols (such as HTTP, TCP/IP and UDP), load balancers, micro-service architecture and multi-tier web application architectures.
- Ability to root cause sources of instability in a high-traffic, large-scale distributed system
- Strong Experience working with monitoring systems such as Sensu, Nagios or Zabbix
- Good experience with metric collecting frameworks such as ELK and Graphite.
- Understands large-scale complex systems from a performance/reliability perspective
- 1+ years of experience with advanced shell scripting and tools like perl, sed and awk.
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems in terms of maintenance and administration.
Nice to have:
- Good Knowledge of Java and its associated technology stack.
- Good Knowledge of Node.js
- Familiarity with Configuration Management like Puppet or Chef or Ansible
- Good Knowledge maintaining and managing windows servers.