Sr. Director, Software Engineering
Petaluma, CA | Direct Hire
Senior Director, Software Engineering
Exciting opportunity for a Sr. Director of SW Engineering! You will be delivering innovative solutions for our modular platform software which is scalable, highly available, fault tolerant, and carrier class. You will work on solutions which enables easy migration of the OS from embedded platform to virtualized environment. The Software is architected to run on distributed network elements, stackable modular systems and single rack-unit systems under various compute and processor environments. We are working on exciting new architectures based on open source software, modern development tools, and agile development practices.
Have you delivered, architected, and hand built multiple networking products?
Are you ready for your next great challenge?
- Provide overall engineering team leadership and management addressing key dimensions including people management, project management, and technical leadership.
- Execute on engineering development plans in a fashion consistent with company' s product strategy and associated roadmap objectives. Operational excellence.
- Planning of software engineering initiatives addressing work breakdown, project scheduling, critical path analysis, and resource assignments in a fashion consistent with budget constraints, priorities, and roadmap commitments.
- Drive the strategic thinking, system dependencies and interactions of the system software with product, HW, and other dependent software groups.
- Drives with vigor, projects and products to delivery. Fast paced environment, carrier class quality, and overall high bar for all managers and engineers to deliver innovation with excellence. Change agent for growth and best practices through the organization. Cross-functional and interdependent project leadership.
- Management leadership – Excellent leadership of large teams in multiple geographies. Organizational development, excellent project management (waterfall as well as agile/scrum) with a passion for high quality delivery.
- Technical leadership – Leverage personal technical leadership through directors and individuals through the organization
- Keen technical, customer, and business sense to synthesize and make great project / product decisions.
- Deep experience in software for low level chipsets, device drivers, hardware abstraction layers and the chip vendor and ecosystem around this. Experience working with merchant silicon vendors, analysis, negotiations.
- Areas of expertise experience spanning all areas of platform and protocol software:
- Switching and CPU chip sets (Broadcom, Cavium, Vitesse, ARM, X86, MIPs, and others)
- HAL layer: Low level device drivers, physical layer protocols (ethernet, PON, xDSL, G.Fast)
- Linux kernel, open source management
- Large and complex system development products
- Layer 2 and L3 protocols
- Layer 4 caching and best in class Data Center switching products
- Keen sense of SW and HW system architecture
- Open source experience, both use, and contribution
- Development experience in Multi-core/Multi-threaded environment on Linux
- Strong development experience with Linux development environment and tools
- Strong linux and operating system experience
- 15+ years of senior management leadership experience in platform, system, and operating system software for the networking / telecom industry – track record of innovative product delivery – team size 100+ engineers. Fast paced, high quality for carrier class products.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to lead distributed technical teams as well as actively interface with senior leadership team, HW, Manufacturing, and product teams
- Deep technical experience in platform and system software
- Experience in driving and realizing complex, end to end technical solutions, and how design decisions impact software architecture and delivery