UX Researcher I
Menlo Park, California | Contract
Job Title: UX Researcher I
Our mission is to build and strengthen relationships through shared experiences. On the Business Platform team, our focus is to strengthen relationships between people and businesses, with businesses defined as any entity with commercial interest (e.g. brands, small businesses, publishers, influencers, celebrities, creators and makers, etc.). Our vision:
- Consumers can find businesses organically or through advertising, and once connected, can have meaningful interactions on our platform (communicating, buying products and services, etc.)
- Our ads, across all surfaces, are just as relevant and engaging as organic content
- Advertisers consider us essential to their own success
Some immediate challenges this researcher might tackle include understanding how businesses and consumers communicate with each other on social media, testing different ad formats with consumers to evaluate value and usability, identifying advertising goals of small businesses and the results they expect and want, and understanding user perceptions around business content they see and how it affects their usage.
Types of work may include usability testing, surveys, field studies, diary studies, etc., both for the U.S market and strategic international markets.
Travel to both headquarters for stakeholder engagement and some domestic travel for research purposes is expected (~20%).
Mixed Methods User Researcher
- Independently design research studies that address consumer behavior and attitudes and the needs and behaviors of businesses on our platform
- Employ creative and innovative research methods to understand needs of both consumers and businesses
- Generate insights that fuel ideation and evaluate designs
- Conduct research using a wide variety of qualitative methods and a subset of quantitative methods, such as surveys
- Work cross-functionally with design, product management, content strategy, engineering and marketing
- Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways
- MA/MS in Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, Social Science or a related field (e.g. Human-Centered Design) & 3+ years experience in applied product research; or BA/BS degree in a human behavior related field (HCI, Psychology, Social Science, Information Science, etc.) & 5+ years experience in applied product research
- Previous experience conducting research on advertising at an advertising agency, in house at a company, or as a consultant a plus.
- Command of a broad set of qualitative and user-centered design methods, from ethnographic to usability to basic survey design + analysis
- Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful questions
- Experience communicating with internal stakeholders including but not limited to Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers
- Software skills: SPSS, SAS, SQL a plus
- Degree / certifications requirements: MA/MS in Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, Social Science or a related field (e.g. Human-Centered Design) or BA/BS degree in a human behavior related field (HCI, Psychology, Social Science, Information Science, etc.)
- Years of UX research industry experience: 3 years of applied product research if master, 5 years if bachelor