Backbone Implementation Engineer II
6205-B Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., 5th Floor Atlanta, GA 30328 | Contract
Backbone Implementation Engineer II
This IP Backbone Engineer function is within the Backbone Deployment/Integration team that supports the National Backbone. Backbone Integration provides operational design consultation in the engineering process, production trials, infrastructure life cycle deployments and operational escalation support for the national backbone. Engineers contribute to the reliability, performance, scalability, quality, and availability of the Backbone Network.
The primary focus of this position is around backbone design projects, deployments and service integration.
- Develop process and procedures for the support of the network and interaction with other support groups.
- Lab test design and functionality with Engineering and in the Integration staging environment.
- Lead and provide escalation for production trials and service deployments on the National Backbone.
- Deploy latest core provider hardware in complex production environment.
- Provide knowledge transfer of design and function into Implementation and NOC teams.
- Identify operational and design issues through data analysis and testing, recommend solutions to make the network more efficient.
- Hardware and Software testing and deployment in a multi team environment.
- Expert design and support knowledge of core backbone protocols listed in qualifications below.
- Ability to write detailed and efficient methods and procedures without impact to production services.
- Work with vendors to isolate issues related to a given platform.
- Work with other groups on the implementation of network related projects and other standardization efforts.
- Very detail oriented with good interpersonal skills.
- Support Network Operations Center and Cable Systems with issues escalated to Backbone Integration.
- Provide information and status to Backbone Integration Manager and key stakeholders.
- Requires BS/BA in related discipline (i.e., Electrical Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems) and 5-8 years of experience in related field (i.e., networking) OR MS/MA and 3-5 years of experience in related field. Will consider additional industry experience in lieu of degree.
- Expert in networking protocols such as BGP, OSPF, QoS, Multicast, MPLS (LDP, RSVP, CSPF, TE, P2MP, CBF, Auto-bandwidth, etc)
- Expert in High Availability protocols such as BFD, LFM, Graceful Restart, Non-Stop Forwarding, VRRP, and MPLS FRR.
- Extensive knowledge and operational experience of IP data L2/L3 switching architectures and technology
- Extensive knowledge and operational experience of Voice over IP, and Video over IP technologies.
- Extensive knowledge and operational experience in IP Switching and Routing Architectures
- Extensive knowledge and operational experience in performance, fault, and configuration management
- Must have extensive knowledge and operational experience on all or most of these platforms - Juniper Platforms PTX5K, MX Series, EX series
- Experience with production changes in a backbone core routing environment
- Experience with testing traffic flows and protocols in a lab environment
- Experience with physical technology upgrades (upgrading chassis, line cards, various FRUs, etc.)
- Experience with one or more of the following languages are a plus: C, Perl, Python, or PHP.
- Experience with Linux or UNIX operating systems and servers a plus.
- Preferred experience with network modeling and simulation software (OPNET SP Guru, Cariden MATE, etc.).
- Experience with some of the following types of tools is preferred: Performance monitoring, Protocol Analyzer, Modeling, Traffic simulation, SNMP trapping/polling
- Must be able to work in a wide variety of circumstances and multitask: examples include having a flex able schedule, be able to travel, write various detailed documents, perform tasks and projects in both a team and solo environment, effective written and verbal communication skills, meet and manage timelines, etc.
- Must be able to take on large and/or complex design and operational tasks
Preferred: Industry certifications such as JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCSP, JNCIE and CCIE