1 Hacker Way Menlo Park, CA 94025
We' re looking for a senior Taxonomist to develop an ontology that can power content classification and enrich the content graph to improve the feed experience. The right candidate with be self-directed, capable of working independently in ambiguous environments to define deliverables, shape outcomes and lead teams toward successful results. The candidate must be able to thrive in a flat, fast-moving environment that relies on lightweight processes to deliver huge impact.
- Develop a comprehensive topic taxonomy for classifying social media content in a natural, interpretable manner, at multiple granularities.
- Evangelize the project with internal teams and identify new use ways these teams can leverage the work.
- Work closely with engineers to prioritize and manage projects/deliverables effectively while adapting to changing business needs, processes and requirements.
- Provide guidance about ontologies and semantic representations, supporting recommendations with data.
- Analyze and optimize processes, owning data integrity and taxonomy effectiveness.
- Coordinate and build alignment with teams and stakeholders across family of apps and services to optimize for consistency and interoperability.
- Partner with PMs, engineers, product designers, researchers, and content strategists to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch (and then some).
- Promote taxonomy and in the broader community of design and content professionals.
- Help develop a high level, vision for the team, and identify opportunities that solve business and user needs through the taxonomy.
- 5+ years developing and managing product taxonomies
- Experience using taxonomy management systems to maintain categories, attributes, and other metadata. Ontology development and information domain modeling experience
- Proven ability to present complex technical and metadata information in a clear and concise way to a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working with content systems and establishing the relationship between content topics
- Proven ability to work on ambiguous projects and deliver effectively in customer-focused, cross-functional teams
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Experience in building and shipping taxonomies and related features for content web sites, apps, or software
- A portfolio or other work samples showing the impact of your content taxonomy work
- Ability to partner with data science and comfort with data
- 5+ years working with and developing content taxonomies
- Familiarity working across different languages and markets
- Experience with an international taxonomy, specifically how to internationalize a taxonomy
- Familiarity with data science and data-driven decision-making
- Product/UX content strategy experience
- Experience with social products
Education: Masters Degree in Library Science or Information Management, or related experience preferred