Decatur Street San Francisco, CA 94103
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the design of user-facing and back-end components for proprietary building systems. The engineer will work closely with cross-functional team members to designing risky and sometimes unconventional solutions that they can justify using calculations, prototypes, simulations and other available resources.
- Conceptual design of mechanical parts and assemblies, working with other team members to define how those parts relate with each other to constitute the whole product.
- CAD modelling of parts and further integration into assemblies to check part interaction, performance and manufacturability.
- Conduct calculations of structural and mechanical qualities of parts to assure reliability of design.
- Produce prototypes using in-house fabrication tools or by outsourcing parts to specialized fabrication facilities. This is one of the most valued and important stages in Samara design flow, we believe there is a strong correlation between the amount of prototyping and the quality of the product.
- Mechanically test prototypes: design mechanical tests, conduct mechanical performance tests using in-house testing equipment, create testing setups or working with outside labs to completely ensure quality and reliability of all systems.
- Thoroughly document research and development process: as we' re developing something radically new, every new bit of information we learn is extremely valuable and has to be documented and easily accessible, as this information can dramatically impact the outcome of the whole venture.
- 4+ years of industry experience, or equivalent
- Proficiency in CAD Software (e.g. Siemens NX, Solidworks, etc.)
- Experience in mechanical testing (tensile testing, lifetime testing, leak testing, etc.)
- Hands-on prototyping experience (machining, laser cutting, waterjet cutting, and 3D printing, etc.)
- Experience or knowledge of high volume manufacturing methods (sheet metal forming, injection molding, etc.)
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or relevant engineering field