3655 N 1st St San Jose, CA 95134
The System Administrator is responsible for effective installation/configuration, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. The system administration tasking will be focused on improving the stability and performance of the system, maintaining and improving the security posture of the systems, continuous monitoring of system health, and troubleshooting issues that arise.
The individual is accountable for Linux, Windows, and application systems that support infrastructure and research and development (R&D). Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual operation.
- Engineering of systems administration-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems which support infrastructure and/or R&D activities.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Configure/maintain storage equipment and troubleshoot issues with vendors.
- Configure/install EDA tools and FlexLM licenses and troubleshoot software tool issues.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Contribute to and maintain security posture of the systems
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage resources.
Operations and Support
- Install and maintain security patches on the operational and development system, which includes but is not limited to, Red Hat Linux (Centos, Ubuntu… etc.), Windows 2008/2k8R2/2k12, VMWare, and Apache web services.
- Report Security Patch compliance.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request as necessary.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Manage existing and/or deploy new instances of Jira, Git, LDAP, Jenkins, VMWare environments.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- After hours and weekend support and/or alternative work schedules are required at various points in the year
- Bachelor’ s degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science, preferred.
- CompTIA Security+ (SY0-301) or other DoD 8570.1 Workplace Improvement Plan IAT Level II compliant certification (or equivalent experience) preferred.
- Systems Administration/System Engineer certification in Linux+, e.g., CompTIA Linux+, Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), or Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- Five+ years of system administration experience in Linux environments and proficient in tasks such as shell scripting, creating cron jobs, analyzing log files, managing user accounts and groups, configuring iptables, and setting up mail services.
- Familiarity with web-based technologies, including but not limited to, reverse proxy servers, SSL certificate configuration, three-tier architecture, and service oriented architecture, enterprise service bus, http, and differences between browsers.
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- Independent, self-starter.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written correspondence) in a professional and courteous manner with technical and non-technical personnel.
- Able to move servers to and from main DC to the colocation and labs
- Install new hardware or migrate existing servers (rack and stack)